Discussion 7 - How can and should schools use social media?
How can and should schools use social media?
·
What social networking
and/or social media sites do you use in your role as a school leader? Do
you feel that this is beneficial? In what ways? What positive and
negative feedback have you received from students, families, and the community?
The
only social media that I use as a teacher is Twitter. To be honest the only reason I created an
account was because it was an assignment for a summer course. Now that I have this account, I have been
using it as a Professional Learning Network or PLN. I do feel this has been beneficial because I
have learned about a variety of workshops held by Computer Science Teachers
Association (CSTA) and International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
happening during summer in which I was able to attend. Now as far as using Twitter with students and
their families that I have not done and I don’t think I will. I also have a Facebook account that I mainly use
for personal reasons. Since the school
in which I teach is located in the neighborhood in which I group up, I do have friends
whose children have been my students.
They share posts of their children and tag me but other than that I do
not use it for school purposes.
·
What is your school’s
policy on inappropriate technology use? In what ways could your policy be
adjusted or updated? How would your policies be expanded and improved with more
student involvement in their creation?
My
school’s policy is that we are not use Facebook or any other social media
during school. We are also not be have
our students as friends in our social media accounts. I do agree with the policy the way it is
because there are so many things that could go wrong with teachers and students
being and posting on social media. I think that just to be on the safe side the
policy should stay how it is. Although I
think there should be (and there probably is) a way to use social media in a
way that the school could use it for announcements or celebrations but block
out inappropriate comments or posts.
This way the school can have a Facebook or Twitter account to share new
things that are happening or things that parents need to be aware of. Maybe there is a way to set up the account so
that the student can only post or comment through the parent’s account. This way parents can be aware of any inappropriate
actions. Most likely if the students
know this they are going to think twice about uploading something that they are
not supposed to.
·
How can school leaders
help their teachers recognize signs of cyberbullying?
I think school leaders
can offer professional development workshops or talk about it during faculty
meetings. Although I think that even
though these types of workshops are already offered there will still be times
that cyberbullying will go unnoticed. The teachers should include cyberbullying
prevention in their instruction.
Students need to learn what it is exactly and what to do if it happens
to them. Many times, I have had heard of
how students are being bullied in person and through technology and nothing
happens because the student is to ashamed to say anything. People do find out until the student can’t
take it anymore and decides to take matters into their own hands by committing
suicide or school shootings. So not only
should teachers learn to recognize the signs the students should learn what
they could do to prevent of stop it.
Hi Alicia, thanks for sharing your responses to social media. How fun that you teach where you grew up and have had friends kids in class. That has to be awesome as well as a little nerve wracking at times. I also do not use Facebook for school purposes. I have a few old students that always try and friend me, but I do not accept. I do not believe it is a rule in our district, but, even when my old students are well in to college, they may have cousins or siblings that I teach as well. I would not like to have to always make sure my social media account is professional. I also agree on how teachers and students always need to be reminded how to report cyberbullying and how do deal with is.
ReplyDelete