All About Me!




Hello!  ¡Hola!

My name is Alicia Gomez

I live in Chicago and have lived here practically all of my life.  I speak, read, and write English & Spanish fluently. I am a Bilingual Prekindergarten teacher in one of the Chicago Public Schools located on the southwest side of the city.  I have been teaching prekindergarten for about 15 years now and I love it.  I have always been interested in technology and I love implementing all kinds of technology in my classroom.  I teach my preschoolers how to code through many different apps and also to program robots.  I use the OSMO as additional support for my students in Literacy and Math. I am currently pursuing an endorsement as a Technology Specialist which is why I am enrolled in this class.  I have just completed my Master's in Teaching & Learning.  I am also pursuing National Board Certification and if everything goes as planned I will achieve that in December of 2020. I enjoy dancing, playing games on the iPad, curling up with a good book, cake decorating & watching shows on the ION channel.  What I enjoy the most is traveling to new places with my family.  I am married with four children son David(16), daughter Alyssa(12), step-daughter Andrea(12), & son Jose(10) and a little fur baby, Pulga.  Pulga is a 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier who keeps us very busy even if we don't want to be.




This is my second semester taking tech courses and I am really excited about learning new things that I will be able to implement into my practice!!

Comments

  1. Hi Alicia!!
    Congratulations on your Master’s program! That is a very big accomplishment! I love your pup! I recently got a new fur baby! Her name is Millie. She is about 10 weeks old and is a miniature Aussiedoodle! I agree with you, she keeps me busy!!! Good luck with your first tech course! This is my first Master’s course!! I haven’t been to college in about 10 years so I am nervous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tabitha,

    I know the feeling, I was nervous when I started school again. I was new to online classes and was afraid that I wouldn't learn anything. I was used to taking courses in a real classroom. I am sure you will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew another language fluently. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school and I am awful any conjugating verbs. That is awesome you are going for National Board Certification- YOU ROCK! I also love traveling. I'm bummed that all my vacations this summer have been cancelled. Where is somewhere you would like to go visit? Last year I went on a 23 day, backpack only vacation with 6 friends to 4 countries!

    I'm excited to learn from you in class and hear how you utilize technology in your classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment! Achieving National Board is something that I have always wanted so hopefully I achieve and if I don't then I ok with it at least I tried and I gained lots of new knowledge that I have used to better my practice. I feel the same about summer, my family and I were planning on going to Florida this summer. That is great that you were able to travel to 4 countries. I should plan something like that now you got me thinking.

      Delete
  4. Hi Alicia! Wow, with all that is going on right now, Chicago seems to be a pretty scary place; I hope you are staying safe! Congratulations on finishing your Masters and best of luck with your Board Certification! I absolutely love using OSMO in my kindergarten classroom. However, I have never delved into the coding portion of it; I have only used Words and Numbers. I would be interested in seeing how that works! I'm also interested in what other technology you use in your classroom, as my littles are not much bigger than yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Alicia, I am so impressed that you teach your preschoolers how to code. I teach 5th grade and teaching them technology can be challenging. So I am blown away that you include technology in your classroom with preschool age students. I also love your puppy! Pulga is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Alicia!

    You're my hero ~ teaching preschoolers takes so much creativity and patience, and teaching them to code! Talk about engaging with technology. So impressive you are pursuing your endorsement & national board certification. I'm sure we'll all learn from each other.

    Inma
    PS. Love Pulga!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alicia,

    I am out in the western suburbs and have 3 middle school kids who have been in our district's dual language program since first grade. What a great experience for all of us and a great way for them to learn a new language and learn about other cultures. Good luck with your national boards and have a great summer...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Alicia! Wow, what great experiences. I can tell you will be a wealth of knowledge for this class. Sounds like you do it all! Looking forward to having you in class.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alicia! Congratulations on getting your Master's! That's great! I loved reading about your interests and I can definitely tell how much you care for your students and your profession just from what you wrote. Also, welcome to the world of Educational Technology. I began my journey last year and am currently taking my 4th and 5th courses in the field this summer. It's been a fun ride! Looking forward to working with you this summer!

    Andy Wilhoit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alicia!
    It sounds like you have worked very hard at continuing to improve your teaching! I taught Kindergarten for 1 year before moving up to 5th grade. Those Kindergarteners can be a handful, but their love for school is unmatched. I look forward to working with you throughout this course!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Alicia,

    Nice to meet you. I give you a lot of credit for working with the littles. They must be such a sponge. I am not familiar with Osmo. What is it? I'm sure a tech endorsement will come in handy when working with dual language students. What kind of tech do you have access to in pre school?

    Anita Lapa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Alicia,

    It was nice to read about your interests and future plans. Teaching the preschoolers how to code must have been an interesting experience. I am excited to learn more about your experience of teaching technology to those little amazing brains. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Alicia!

    Congratulations on your Masters in Teaching and Learning! I could definitely use some OSMO lessons! I can only imagine how well versed and technologically savvy our students will continued to be by the time they get to us in high school! Thanks again for sharing your background! May I ask why "pulga"? If you can please check out my entry:

    Welcome! Bienvenidos! Willkomen! – Quo Vadis?


    https://todotech.edublogs.org/2020/05/22/welcome-bienvenidos-willkomen/


    Thanks!

    Manny

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Alicia!

    I think it is amazing that you are doing all this tech stuff such as coding and programming robots with pre-schoolers! We had to implement Canvas this year and boy has it been a challenge. I feel I am web designer - not something I signed up for. The more you learn though the more comfortable I get and am somewhat proud of what I have accomplished. Getting your endorsement as Technology Specialist is certainly something that will benefit you. Good luck with your National Board Certification - I heard it is challenging. Looking at your bio and past achievements, I believe you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alicia,

    That is impressive getting Pre-K students to do all that tech. My wife also teachers pre-k and wants to get more tech into her classes but doesn't know where to start. I couldn't live without my ipad, my wife asks me why are you watching on your ipad when you have a TV right there. Good luck with your National Board Certification and teaching this school year.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alicia,

    It takes a special kind of person to be able to teach Pre-K! I taught Kindergarten Physical Education for 5 years and it truly tested my patience level, I can only imagine teaching them for a half/full day! Although they are definitely the sweetest :) I am quite impressed you are able to get such young students into coding and robotics! It sounds like you are doing a terrific job integrating technology. Best of luck with the school year!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Discussion 7 - How can and should schools use social media?